Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Green Day

While it's fresh in my mind, I thought it best to reflect on the event I attended last night. My friends Jenna and PJ accompanied Katie and I to Philadelphia, PA to see Green Day perform at the spectrum. After sitting in traffic for 2 and 1.2 hours of crawling torment, we finally got to the stadium at 7:15. We tailgated in the parking lot till about 8:15 then went inside the Wachovia Spectrum.

Our seats (as planned) turned out to be fantastic. 2nd level right in front the stage. We had a perfect view of the stage (I'm still dreading the fact that I left my camera in the car). Around 9pm a giant pick bunny came on stage and after falling his way through a hilarious interpretation of YMCA, the lights went dim and the band burst on stage singing 21st Century breakdown, the title track from their most album. The light show kicked ass, completed with a giant video screen behind the band and enough pyrotechnics to make 4th of July look like a bottle rocket.

For almost 3 straight hours...... the band played. All the hit tracks from American Idiot like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," "American Idiot," and "Holiday."

They must have brought at least 6 fans on stage throughout the concert. Some to interact with band, some to sing, and one guy even played guitar on "jesus of surburbia." The fans at the Spectrum totally got what they paid for. I've been to a lot of concerts and I've never seen a band play so hard for so long.

Billie Joe has got to be one of the greatest entertainers in the world. He has a stage presence comparable to Bruce Springsteen or the late Michael Jackson. He energy seemed to have no end. Even after playing a 3 song encore. Billlie Joe came onstage by himself and playing acoustic version of "Time of Your Life." I can't think of any way better to end the show .

As Katie said as we were leaving "That's probably the best concert I've ever been to....."

I have to agree with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment